Ask Todd Crosby
Jericho Plantation is prominently located on Cotton Hall Road in the Prince William's parish of Beaufort County, South Carolina. This one-of-a-kind property was originally part of the 13,000 acres laid out in this parish under Landgrave Edmund Bellinger's patent. The lands comprising of this plantation remained a part of the Tomotley Barony for a period before being sold to Mr. William Palmer, a nephew of the second Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. In 1756, Mr. William Maine, a native of Ireland, purchased Jericho Plantation. The property remained in his family until around 1830 when it was conveyed to Richard Woodward Hutson, son of Esther Maine and Colonel Thomas Hutson. Mr. Hutson constructed a new house at Jericho between 1831 and 1832, and this house was destroyed by Gen. Sherman's march from Savannah, Georgia to Columbia, South Carolina. Nearby, you will find the historic ruins of the Sheldon Church and other noteworthy historical properties including Cotton Hall, Tomotley, Brewton and Bray's Island Plantations. Today, a well-appointed house sits among the moss-draped live oaks replicating an era of long ago. While much of Beaufort County and the Lowcountry succumbed to growth and development, Jericho and the surrounding properties have stood the test of time. Much of this landscape is reminiscent of what it was 150 years ago. Jericho possesses a diverse scenery with mature old growth bottomland hardwood, upland oak ridges, as well as 150 acres of open land. The open acreage is divided into 10 fields of differing size, configurations, and ages of successional natural vegetation. This is ideal cover and habitat for upland bird hunting, turkey brooding and deer bedding grounds. The natural hedgerows between fields provide perfect travel corridors and offer a desirable edge affect often found with good wildlife management. In addition, there is a well-established dove field that has consistently produced ample wing shooting opportunity for bird hunters. Improvements include a modern 4200 +/- sq. ft. classic Lowcountry style home and a 3200 sq. ft. fully enclosed steel shed for equipment storage and maintenance. In addition, there is a six bay pole barn for additional implements and a 5-acre stocked fishpond.